Kansas City Help

Energy Assistance

If your energy bills are too high especially when compared to your income, then there may be help for you. A great federally funded program that helps people with low income with their energy bills is LIHEAP. The program aims to keep family safe and help low income families with energy costs.

By helping people stay warm in the winter and cool in the summer, health and safety risks are significantly reduced. Funds received from LIHEAP can be used for home energy bills, winterization and energy related minor home repairs.

In Missouri, LIHEAP is administered by the Department of Social Services and implemented by Community Action Agencies such as United Services.

LIHEAP Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program

LIHEAP is an energy assistance program aimed to help low income households. This program is federally funded to help people with low income particularly those with lowest income. If your energy bill is unproportionally high compared to your income then you might quality for help in this program. LIHEAP can help you with heating and cooling bills as well as emergency services such as emergency lodging, furnace and central air replacement and repair, and window air conditioners.

LIHEAP consists of 2 programs:

EA - Energy Assistance for Regular Heating:

Energy Assistance is a once a year program. If you qualify for this program, the program will pay your utility company on your behalf once to lower the cost of your winter energy bills.

This program is not available all year round. It starts on October 1st for elderly and disabled people but on November 1st for everyone else.

ECIP - Energy Crisis Intervention Program:

ECIP is an emergency assistance program that helps people who have received shut off notices. You will not quality for this particular program unless you have received a shut off notice for heating or cooling service. Summer ECIP starts on June 1st.

Am I Eligible for Energy Assistance?

Since this is a program for low income families, priorities are given to those in need more than others. To qualify you must be 135% below Federal Poverty Income Guideline, live in Jackson, Clay or Platte Counties in MO.

How much help can I get?

Everyone wants to get 100% of the help they need and more. Unfortunately that might not be possible. Every program has a certain limit and amount they can help each household. In general, you can get up to $800 during the Winter from the ECIP program and/or $300 for the Summer. The amount of money you will receive depends on your income and the number of people in your household as well as the resources and funds available.

How to Apply for Energy Help?

If you live in Kansas City or anywhere in Jackson, Clay and Platte Counties, you can get an application form by calling:

855-FSD-INFO or 855-373-4636

You can also apply for LIHEAP assistance through United Services Community Action Agency. Their phone number is 816-358-6868.