Kansas City Help

United Services

One of the best places to get help from is the United Services Community Action Agency. United Services Community Action Agency or USCAA is a private nonprofit organization helping low income families and individuals. People living in Jackson county, Clay County and Platte County Missouri can get help if they qualify.

They help youth, at risk teens, the elderly and families as well as individuals who are struggling. They help with employment, education and housing.

Programs offered by United Services

United Services offer so many different programs:

  • Energy assistance
  • Housing assistance
  • Employment assistance
  • Youth programs
  • Family assistance
  • Poverty Simulations
  • Weathertization assistance
  • Holiday programs

Help with gas and electric bills

United Services will help any and all low income families with gas and electric. This is a federal grant program. To get help from United Services, you do not have to have a shut off notice. Many organizations require you to bring proof of utility shut off such as a shut off notice but for United Services, you don't have to wait till you receive a shut off notice to get help.

What do you need to bring?

You must have:

  • Id, social security cards for all members in the home,
  • proof of residence and
  • copies of current gas AND electric bills if you have both services (they will pay on both).

Generally, you do not need an appointment, you walk in fill out an application and you can see a case worker immediately. They also serve the entire KC METRO Area. However you should call to make sure they are open when you go.